Details of Sculptor

Show Works
 
Surname Athow family Alternative Surname
First Name of Norwich Initial of Surname A
Year of Birth/Baptism Flourished 1773-1845
Year of Death
Biographical Details John Athow, who lived in the precincts of Norwich Cathedral, carved several monuments in partnership with Thomas Stafford. Athow married Deborah de Cleve (†1808) at St Luke’s Chapel in Norwich on 28 February 1768. He died on 9 October 1822, aged 80. He and his wife are commemorated with a ledger stone in Blackfriars Hall, formerly the Dutch church, where De Cleve’s relations are also buried.

John Athow Jnr, was christened at St Martin at Palace, Norwich, on 28 February 1768. He married the widow of a linen-draper, Elizabeth Waller (†1807) at St Luke’s Chapel in December 1787. He advertised in the Norwich Mercury on 6 July 1799, where he announced a move from St Andrews to a house at the ‘Back of the Inns’ where he ‘Executes Monuments, Chimney Pieces, Black Marble Grave-Stones, Portland Head Stones, and every other branch of business in the neatest manner, on reasonable terms.’ In the same newspaper on 7 August 1802 John Athow, marble and stone mason, advertised for an apprentice and a ‘good mason.’ A further advertisement appeared on 16 July 1803. Athow also worked as an auctioneer and appraiser.

Another John Athow was listed in White’s Directory in 1845 as a ‘mason’ and as a ‘statuary and surveyor of city pavements, in Castle Street, Norwich.’ Like his predecessors he executed monuments, chimneypieces, black marble gravestones and other items.

Literary References: Gunnis 1968, 21, 365; The East Anglian, no 8 (October 1860), Norfolk Chronicle, 3 October 1807 and 10 September 1808 (inf Jon Bayliss)
Archival References: IGI; GPC
 
 
Help to numbers in brackets